Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tweedledee Designs Top 5.

A guest post from Angela of Tweedledee Designs with her top 5 quilts from previous dolls quilt swaps.

These are the quilts that made me understand that a doll quilt swap wasn't necessarily about the dolls. ;) Each quilt is a work of art in its own way and I love how representative they are of their maker. In no particular order (because there are too many wonderful quilts out there) here are my favorite five.

Made by emma_louise. I love this quilt because it is unique among a collection of quilts that have many things in common, yet appeals to almost everyone. Snow Dance has a beautiful sense of movement and color. I'm one of those people who would say that I'm not always a fan of batiks, but if they were always done in this fresh way I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about them. The colors are bright but not overwhelming with the white background. And of course the quilting is downright amazing. Top it off with the perfect rainbow stripe border (the lines in contrast to the curves of the applique) and you have a particularly beautiful quilt.

This next quilt probably tops everyones list and it's made by the lovely Tacha. This is just a portion of the quit and while the whole thing is absolutely beautiful, this is the part that takes my breath away. There is such whimsy in this little moment, but it is so relatable. This quilt opened my eyes to a type of "landscape" quilt that I would actually enjoy making. I am wowed by her ability to capture the feeling of the two characters in fabric. And it makes me want to have a picnic!

Made by FlossieBlossoms. I don't think that she ended up sending this one to her partner, but this is topping my list of all time favorite doll quilts. I love a good color wheel and the contrast with the black in a sea of white background quilts is wonderful. I'm particularly partial to it because I've had an idea for a pieced quilt that is so similar to this that I actually gasped the first time I saw it because I thought that it was already made. But our ideas are different enough that I will still pursue my own version. In the meantime though, this quilt constantly inspires me to continue my own work while appreciating the beauty of other's.

Made by jrcraft. I adore this quilt for celebrating the simplicity of solid colors and basic quilting shapes. The yellow and orange vibrantly stand out but are balanced by the blues and reds. Though there is a pattern, I don't even see it. What I see is beautiful color and interlocking shapes. A more modern piece than some might enjoy, but it is in perfect harmony with traditional patterns and quilting. A true blend of traditional and modern.

Made by Dontlooknow. This quilt is just so pretty. I admire many of the things that she makes and this type of applique is simply stunning. I love her use of fabric which I think is pretty courageous. The colors, the blend of stitchery and applique are amazing. Her work is truly art and the machine quilting is just the icing on the cake. It's truly a piece that I can stare at over and over.

Oh so many beauties out there and this season looks to bring a whole new series of favorites. I can't wait to see what everyone creates!

3 comments:

  1. I love each and every one of these also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too! i think tachas probably is my all time fave tho. its just so special. dontlooknow's quilts are gorgeous and this one is no exception. i like that you picked a simple quilt too, and jrcrafts quilt is so yummy! and who wouldnt love flossies ticker tape. its just so inspiring. thanks for doing the guest post twee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah! I'm so glad that two people liked the ones that I picked out! LOL. There really were so many beautiful options to pick from, but I still stand by these!

    ReplyDelete